This year’s national PTA Reflections theme, “Look Within,” inspired thousands of students to create award-winning works of art, and 17 students in the Comal Independent School District are being honored at the state level for their entries.
This year’s Texas State Awards Ceremony has been rescheduled for Saturday, Aug. 8, at Texas A&M University-San Antonio due to COVID-19. Students receiving Honorable Mention, Award of Merit, Award of Excellence or Overall Award of Excellence for the 2019-2020 Reflections program will be honored during this ceremony.
Two Comal ISD students received Award of Excellence honors for their entries. They include Marley Werner from Arlon Seay Elementary and Roman Jackson from Rahe Bulverde Elementary in the intermediate category for third through fifth grade students.
Werner’s photography entry, “A Look Within a Book,” and Jackson’s music composition, “Intracranial,” are among the 950 entries submitted to the state competition this year.
Annually, the Reflections contest begins at the campus level with a call for entries. The top campus entries are then sent to the district level where they are judged, and the top district entries are sent to the state competition. The winners at the state level are sent to the national contest.
The Comal ISD Council of PTAs coordinates the Reflections contest every year for the district. This year, the Council judged more than 245 entries from 26 campuses.
The 17 Comal ISD students who will be honored in August include the following.
Primary Category, pre-kindergarten to second grade
- Macy Adam, Honorable Mention for “Inside of Me,” dance choreography, Mountain Valley Elementary
- Lincoln Bunker, Honorable Mention for “It's Coming For You,” music composition, Johnson Ranch Elementary
- Carley Moran, Award of Merit for “Through the Looking Glass,” visual arts, Timberwood Park Elementary
- Abigail Mullins, Honorable Mention for “A Cactus.” photography, Garden Ridge Elementary
Intermediate Category, third through fifth grade
- Daniel "Rocky" DeBoom, Honorable Mention for “My Brother,” literature, Bill Brown Elementary
- Roman Jackson, Award of Excellence for “Intracranial,” music composition, Rahe Bulverde Elementary
- Liliana Pohlke, Honorable Mention for “This Girl Is On Fire,” visual arts, Rahe Bulverde Elementary
- Marley Werner, Award of Excellence for “A Look Within A Book,” photography, Arlon Seay Elementary
Middle School, sixth through eighth grade
- Gabriel Minnick, Honorable Mention for “Stay On Your Path,” photography, Mountain Valley Middle
- Reagan Muegge, Honorable Mention for “This Girl,” dance choreography, Danville Middle
- Maddie Spencer, Honorable Mention for “We're All Machines In Our Own Dreams,” visual arts, Pieper Ranch Middle
High School, ninth through 12th grade
- Ryli Brace, Honorable Mention for “Introspection,” music composition, Canyon High School
- Presley Downs, Award of Merit for “Look Within,” literature, Smithson Valley High School
- Morgan Hall, Award of Merit for “Typically Empty,” visual arts, Canyon Lake High School
- Kaden Mayo, Honorable Mention for “ALONE,” film production, Memorial Early College High School
- Isabell Sliwinski, Award of Merit for “Without Fear,” dance choreography, Memorial Early College High School
- Ruby Bown, Honorable Mention for “My Family, My Home,” visual arts, Johnson Ranch Elementary
Watch a video, compiled by SVHS sophomore Ryann McAnelly, of all Comal ISD Reflections entries here.
-Just a few of the awards given to Comal ISD Council of PTAs Reflections honorees.
-Bill Brown Elementary Reflections honorees.
-Kinder Ranch Elementary Reflections honorees.
-Mountain Valley Middle School Reflections honorees.
-Pieper Ranch Middles School Reflections honorees.
-Startzville Elementary Reflections honorees.
-Smithson Valley High School Reflections honorees.
-Smithson Valley Middle School Reflections honorees.